Ruby On Rails Lesson
Weaknesses of this Users Resource
Although good for getting a general overview of Rails, the scaffold Users resource suffers from a number of severe weaknesses.
• No data validations. Our User model accepts data such as blank names and invalid email addresses without complaint.
• No authentication. We have no notion signing in or out and no way to prevent any user from performing any operation.
• No tests. This isn’t technically true—the scaffolding includes rudimentary tests—but the generated tests are ugly and inflexible, and they don’t test for data validation, authentication, or any other custom requirements.
• No layout. There is no consistent site styling or navigation.
• No real understanding. If you understand thescaffold code, you probably shouldn’t be reading this book.